Saturday 9 June 2012

Microwavable Lemon Curd

I'm just going to make this short and sweet. Basically, I'm addicted to this stuff. I went searching for a lemon curd recipe and stumbled across this great one on recipes.com. Stay tuned for a couple of recipes that I included this amazingly lemony goodness in. But it is so good that you really don't need a recipe as an excuse to use it. Why not just eat it by the spoonful like I do? Look at it this way, you will be saving countless calories by not putting it with bread/cakes/muffins/etc. See where I'm going with this? That being said, I strongly encourage you to go and make this, and eat it however you feel like. It's so darn easy to make, how could you resist?

Ingredients

1 C. White Sugar
3 Eggs
1 C. Fresh Lemon Juice (I used the juice from the 3 zested limes and then topped it up with Real Lemon, Lemon Juice)
3 Lemons, zested (I actually used limes and it was amazing)
1/2 C. Margarine, melted

Directions

~Whisk the sugar and eggs together in a microwavable dish until smooth.

~Mix in juice, zest and margarine.

~Cook mixture in microwave for 30 second intervals. Stir mixture thoroughly after every 30 seconds, to prevent eggs from becoming chunky (you don't want scrambled eggs curd)

~When mixture coats and remains on the back of a metal spoon it is done. (For me this took approximately 4 minutes total cooking time)

~Run mixture through a sieve to remove any egg chunks or pieces of zest.

~Store in the fridge (the mixture will thicken up even more as it cools so don't be alarmed that it is still pretty runny before this step).

Enjoy, and stay tuned for some great ideas for which to use the curd...

Okay, I'll give you a hint. It involved berries...lots of berries, both recipes actually :)


No comments: