Tuesday 12 June 2012

The 5 C's (Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies w/ Cornstarch)-My Top 3 CCC's


I don't have much to say about this recipe, except yes you do need to try them. They taste different than other chocolate chip cookies, but in a good way. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the raw dough doesn't taste the same either, and not in a good way. I think it's because of the cornstarch. It does wonders when cooked though. Maybe, just maybe I've found the cure for my cookie dough eating habits...nah, I didn't think so. Anyway, I've never actually chilled chocolate chip cookie dough before and was a bit sceptical to say the least. I typically feel like I'm wasting my time chilling doughs, but I did it just as it said for 30 minutes which wasn't too bad. Another odd thing about this recipe was the addition of cornstarch, which I've never seen before, but again it worked and I'm not complaining. I will definitely be making these again. They were so good, but maybe that was due to the amount of chocolate I put in them...hmm. Or that I always add more vanilla than the recipe calls for. Anyway, as it stands these are in my top three chocolate chip cookies. Chewy cookies all the way.

My mom always used semi sweet chips in her chocolate cookies and would chop up a milk chocolate
Hershey bar in addition to the chips. It was always so good, having the mix of flavours from the two types of chocolate. Then we discovered plain milk chocolate chips and we stopped using the chocolate bar all together. it was just more work when you could simply pop open a bag of milk chocolate chips. Well, lately we've gone back to the semi sweet, simply for the reason that you can only buy the larger bags in semi sweet. And with the rate that I go through chocolate chips, you kind of want the economy bag. Unfortunately, I haven't been finding the cookies I've been making lately as good/satisfying as they should be and I think I just figured out why I'm so in love with this recipe. I reintroduced the semi sweet chips/milk chocolate bar combo yet again. Hmm, so good. Such an easy trick to exponentially improve your cookies.

Adopted from Eat Cake for Dinner, who adapted from Anna Olson 

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies w/ Cornstarch (aka The 5 C's)

Ingredients

Yields: 55 bite size cookies
3/4 C. Butter
3/4 C. Brown Sugar 
1/4 C. White Sugar
1 Egg
2 1/4 Tsp. Vanilla
1 C. All-Purpose Flour
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tsp. Cornstarch
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C. Milk Chocolate Bar, chunked

*If you want crispy cookies, omit the cornstarch and replace the baking soda with baking powder. (I haven't tried this, nor do I intend to, because I'm not a fan of crunchy cookies. If you are, let me know how they work out.*
**These chocolate measurements make an incredibly chocolatey cookie. If you want more cookie than chocolate (shame on you), then scale back these measurements.**

Directions
~Preheat oven to 350 F
~Cream together butter and sugars
~Add egg & vanilla. Beat to combine
~Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Add to wet ingredients. Mix to combine & stir in chocolate.
~Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
~Drop dough onto cookie sheets. Bake for 5 minutes (for bite size cookies, longer if making larger cookies) or until barely golden around the edges (but will still seemed uncooked in the middle, that's what you want to preserve the chewiness). 
Enjoy








1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm glad you liked them!! I make them way too much!!