Monday 4 June 2012

Kitchen Sink Potato Salad



While I like mayonnaise, it is not a condiment that I feel like I need to eat. I feel that it is a waste of calories, because you can get so much flavour from other things such as mustard, which incidentally is better for you. Plus, mustard adds such brilliant colour to a potato salad. Now, it took a couple of tries, but this time I think I got this potato salad to work, and much to my delight, I was able to completely eliminate mayonnaise from the dressing.

Now, just warning you, this makes a huge batch of salad (I'm sorry, I only cook in large batches), so feel free to cut this recipe in half. Or just make the whole recipe and eat potato salad for every meal for the next week or so. Your choice.

So here it is...Mayonnaise Free Potato Salad...or...Multicoloured Potato Salad...or maybe better yet...Kitchen Sink Potato Salad!

Kitchen Sink Potato Salad

Ingredients 

8 Large Red Potatoes
18 Eggs
2 Carrots (grated)
1/3 Red Onion
12 Sliced Sandwich Pickles (you can use any pickles, this was just what I had)
1/4 C. White Vinegar
1/2 C. Pickle Juice
1/3 C. Yellow Mustard
1/4 C. BBQ Sauce
2 tsp Hot Sauce
Dill
Salt
Pepper

Directions

~Scrub potatoes clean, leaving skin on and cut into cubes. Place cubes in a pot of water and boil until soft. Drain.

~Meanwhile, put eggs in pot of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn element down to med/high and boil for 10 minutes. Drain. Allow to cool before peeling. (Can speed this up by continually running cold water over the eggs.)

~Either cut potatoes into chunks or mash, depending on your preference. Use a potato masher to mash the eggs.

~Combine the eggs, potato and carrots. Add red onion slices and pickles and stir to mix.

~For the sauce, pour the vinegar, pickle juice, mustard, BBQ sauce & hot sauce directly onto the potato mixture. Season with the salt, pepper and dill to taste. Stir to combine.

Enjoy




No comments: