Saturday 16 June 2012

Broccoli Salad



Now as I've mentioned before, when I'm cooking things I make again and again I do not like to use a recipe. As such, I don't have a recipe to share with you guys for this amazing salad. I do have an ingredients list thought, and so my recommendation is make this salad (it's so amazing you have to try it), but add in the extras as you see fit. Remember, this is a broccoli salad, so what I do is mix the dressing up first and pour it over the broccoli florets. Then toss in a few add-in's as per your own tastes. You can even make the base salad of broccoli and dressing and chop up the add-in's and let everyone make their own unique creation. While you can bottle up the dressing and mix it in just as you're going to eat the salad, I would recommend at least combining the broccoli and dressing ahead of time, because it definitely tastes better when the broccoli has been given a chance to soak. Confused yet? Forget everything I just rambled about and just go throw all these ingredients together as you see fit. That's my final piece of advice. So without further ado...Broccoli Salad

Oh...wait...one more thing. Please don't omit the salami (or bacon), this salad just does not taste the same (or even half as good) without it. It needs the salt. Don't bother making it if you aren't going to add it. You've been warned.



Ingredients

Dressing:
1 C. Mayonnaise
1/3 C. White Sugar
1 Tbsp. White Vinegar

Salad:
Broccoli Florets
Almonds, slivered
Seedless Grapes, halved
Salami (originally called for bacon, but the packaged salami you get in a 3 pack from Costco adds a much better flavour)

Additional Salad Add-In's:
Sweet Red Pepper, sliced into bite size pieces
Strawberries, sliced
I also tossed a few blackberries in as well as an afterthought because I had them lying around.

Directions

~Mix all the dressing ingredients together and stir well until they are well combined and the sugar is no longer gritty.

~Prepare your broccoli (the Costco bag of florets is great for this) and any add-ins you wish to have. (My recommendation would be broccoli, almonds, grapes & salami-that is just the minimum for this salad. I actually think that was what the original recipe called for if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I've seen the original.)

~Toss the salad with the dressing.

Enjoy


No comments: