Sunday 18 January 2015

Bits and Bites


This recipe has really been a work in progress for me. I've made bits and bites several times and not been entirely happy with the results, so I'd switch to a different recipe the next time but with no better luck. Many of the recipes I tried wanted you to bake it fast at high temps and this so didn't work and I blackened a few trays. Finally I came across this recipe and it was the opposite of so many. Cook it slow to dry it out and make it crispy but not dark, and the flavour is pretty much a combination of all of the failed attempts put together and it works. I also added liquid smoke because while it was never used in any recipes I had personally tried, I knew of people that did use it and I like the addition.

This year's batch didn't quite work out as well as last years, but it was still good, just difficult to make. I ended up having to really increase the amount of crackers, etc. because it was so wet, then it was too dry and I fought with it for awhile before giving up and hoping the flavour wasn't to strong or weak.

Adapted from The Black Peppercorn

Ingredients

1 1/2 Boxes Cheese Nips (Can use Chez Its, Goldfish)
1 Box Mini Ritz Crackers
7 C. Cheerios
9 C. Shreddies
1/2 Bag Hickory Sticks
8 C. Pretzel Sticks

2 C. Butter
1/3 C. Worcestershire Sauce 
2 Tbsp. Tobasco
1 Tbsp. Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp. Onion Salt
1 Tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp. Liquid Smoke

Directions

~Preheat oven to 250F
~In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients. Mix gently with a wooden spoon.
~In a large microwave safe bowl melt butter.
~Add remaining seasonings and spices into melted butter. Whisk to combine.
~Pour liquid mixture over crackers in divided batches. Mixing gently after each addition to evenly coat all the crackers.
~But into roasting pans or onto cookie sheets and bake for 2 hours or until no longer moist, stirring every 15 minutes.
~Remove from oven, and allow to cool before storing.

Enjoy

No comments: