Tuesday 19 February 2013

Vanilla Ice Cream



I've posted this recipe before as part of my Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream, but I just wanted to post it again by itself because I know I'm going to be referencing back to it in the future many times as it was so good and will probably be my base for most ice cream recipes I try. So bear with me, because the next post is going to be so, so worth it. Even the 'chocolate disliker' said yum!

Recipe is David Lebovitz's

Ingredients

1 C. 2% Milk (for very creamy ice cream, use half-and-half)
Pinch of Salt
3/4 C. Sugar
2 C. Heavy Cream
5 Egg Yolks
2 Tbsp. Vanilla

Directions

~In a medium saucepan, heat the 2% milk, salt & sugar.
~In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
~Pour about half of the warmed cream mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly
~Place yolk & cream mixture back into the saucepan.
~Cook over med-low heat, while stirring constantly & scrapping the bottom of the pan with a spatula.
~When the mixture thickens and coats the spatula, strain the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl.
~Add in the cream & vanilla. Stir
~Refrigerate mixture to chill thoroughly.
~Place cold custard into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
~Place ice cream into a container and put in freezer to freeze completely.

Enjoy

No comments: