Monday 11 February 2013

Homemade Chocolate Syrup



This was so incredibly easy to make I can't believe that Nesquik is still even made. Like seriously people, try this yourself. You'll actually know what ingredients are in it and let me tell you, it's a very short list. I had to make this because a recipe I was planning on making (stay tuned for it) called for a couple of tablespoons of chocolate syrup. Well, I wanted to make this recipe now, not in a few hours, not tomorrow, you get my gist right? Plus, I didn't want to go spend $5 on a bottle of chocolate syrup that would then be placed in the cupboard and never used again. I guess I could have pulled out the last bottle that we bought that is still sitting in the cupboard. The only thing is, I can guarantee you that it is way, way, way too old to be consumed. I personally know it hasn't been used in at least three years and it probably sat in there for as many years before that. I know the expiry date has scratched off the lid it's so old. So why do we keep it you might be asking? Well, when I finish typing this up I think I'll march my way over to the pantry and get rid of it. Sounds like a plan.

Anyway, this is a little bitter as far as my likings go. If I were to be making this for an ice cream topping, etc. I probably would be increasing the sugar a little bit. But then again, I always have found chocolate syrup to be a bit bitterer than I like. So I guess this is pretty normal then. The one thing I do like about this recipe is that it can easily be scaled. The recipe I'm going to share makes about 1 1/2 C. of sauce. But because I only needed a couple of tablespoons, I easily was able to make only 1/3 of the recipe, and I didn't have to fiddle around with odd measurements. It just divided perfectly.

Recipe from Kitchen Treaty, who adapted from The Washington Post.

Makes 1 1/2 C.

Ingredients

1 C. Cocoa Powder
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Water
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Vanilla

Directions

~In a small saucepan combine cocoa and sugar and whisk to combine.
~Add in water and on medium-high heat bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
~Once on the boil, continue to stir for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens (it will thicken more once cooled).
~Stir in the salt.
~Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
~Allow to cool for it to thicken fully.

Enjoy and stay tuned for a recipe that you can use this sauce in.


No comments: