Sunday 4 November 2012

The Inside-Out S'more Bars



Now to most of you, these may not look inside-out, but to me they do. Let me explain. My Mom makes a s'more square that is basically the same as Rice Krispie square, just with Golden Grahams. So she melts the marshmallows and stirs in the chocolate chips and cereal. The reason I don't make that type of square is because I really struggle timing it right. I either end up with marshmallow goop that is cooled too much and so nothing will mix into it, or too hot and so the chocolate melts and instead of having chocolate chips, you get a gooey chocolate flavoured marshmallow mess. So, this recipe is a lot safer for me (but I'd still like to share the recipe for her S'more Square, I'll just snap a picture of it one day when she makes it to show you). It's safer because you have melted chocolate and whole marshmallows (instead of melted marshmallows and whole chocolate chips - see, inside-out) and marshmallows need a lot more heat to melt than chocolate does (or so I've experienced).

This recipe was adapted from the Nestle Toll House recipe.

Makes 16 Squares




Ingredients

1/2 C. Milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 3/4 C. Milk Chocolate Chips
3 1/4 C. Mini Marshmallows
1 1/2 C. Golden Grahams (or graham crackers cut into bite size pieces), 

Directions

~In a large microwave safe dish heat milk and vanilla until almost boiling (~2 minutes)
~Stir in the chocolate chips and return to microwave until fully melted (~30 sec)
~Make sure there is no lumps in the mixture and everything is thoroughly mixed, then set it aside to cool for ~5 minutes, or long enough so the marshmallows won't melt.
~Add in the marshmallows and stir to evenly coat.
~Mix in the graham crackers / cereal.
~Spoon into a greased 8x8 pan and cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
~When set, cut into squares. 
~Can be stored at room temperature.

Enjoy


No comments: