Monday 8 October 2012

Brownie Batter Trifle (Dairy Free)



Now just a heads up, if you don't have a sweet tooth don't waste your time reading this post. Check back later for something less sickly sweet...last chance...that's what I thought. I'm glad you all are still here and really I would be ashamed if any food blogger bailed on this post. It is absolutely amazing (but not pretty once you dish it out unfortunately). My recommendation: make it the night before so it can sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. The puddings will then absorb into the brownies and basically make a heavenly mush. Trust me, it's the best mush you'll ever eat.

For those of you that may be a bit skeptical about using the almond milk, feel free to substitute in regular dairy milk. But if you're up for an adventure, I'd recommend you try it. It makes the chocolate pudding seem that much richer because of the addition of the nutty and vanilla flavours.

I lucked in as far as my brownies went. I was going to make my own (and by my own, I really mean I was going to make a box mix of Ghirardelli Brownies), but I was running out of time and I was wandering through the bakery section at Costco (I know a dangerous place to wander) and I came across a carton of what is the Costco equivalent of the brand of Bite Size Brownies (you know the cute little round ones?) Anyway, these brownies were rather flavourless and dry when consumed by themselves but I was going for quantity over quality here people. There were 50 brownies in the carton. Yup, you read that right, five-zero, fifty. All for $5. Believe me, if I had the time (and an oven...still waiting on that one important aspect of baking) I would have made my own, but seriously after you add two packages of pudding it doesn't really matter what the texture of the brownie was like originally. Still, if you're a stickler for homemade, go ahead and make your own brownies with all natural and organic ingredients. If not, well do as I did and enjoy an end product that will taste identical.

Makes 1 heaping ginormous trifle bowl full (sorry I don't know how much it actually was. I think we got about 12 servings out of it).

Ingredients


1 (102g) Pkg. Chocolate Fudge Jello Instant Pudding
1 (170g) Pkg. Vanilla Instant Pudding
5 C. Vanilla Almond Milk, chilled and divided
25 Bites Size Brownies
1 C. Strawberry Slices
2 C. Fresh Raspberries

Directions

~In a large glass bowl, combine the chocolate pudding powder and 2 C. of the cold milk. Whisk for two minutes until pudding begins to thicken. Set aside.
~In another large glass bowl, combine the vanilla powder and 3 C. of the chilled milk. Whisk for two minutes until pudding thickens. Set aside.
~Slice Bite Size Brownies into quarters (or if using homemade, cut into bite sized chunks).
~Wash and de-stem the strawberries and cut into thin slices.
~In a large glass trifle bowl, put a layer of brownies (in my dish I could fit 3 layers, adjust the number of layers accordingly for the depth of your dish), followed by a layer of vanilla pudding.
~Top with fresh raspberries, followed by a chocolate pudding layer.
~Repeat: brownies, vanilla, strawberries, chocolate.
~Repeat: brownies, vanilla, raspberries, and then drizzle the remaining chocolate pudding overtop to finish off the final layer.
~Chill for 30 minutes, upward to 24 hours (the longer the chill time, the more brownie batter like this is going to become. The less time, the more intact each of the layers is going to be).

Enjoy (if not lactose intolerant, with a scoop of whipped cream to finish it off).



No comments: