Thursday 13 September 2012

Jello Shots



I don't know if this post is really appropriate for a food blog, but I'm going to post it anyways, because I don't want to forget the flavour combinations I used. Anyway, the pictures are rather fuzzy (not because we had consumed any shots before pulling out the camera (honest - we were making them okay, not eating them yet), but because I never actually had any intention of posting these pictures to the blog when I took them.

So the flavour combinations I used were:

Watermelon Jello & Gin
Orange Jello & Malibu
Lime Jello & Tequila
Lemon Jello & Tequila
Grape Jello & Vodka

Unfortunately, we never got to try the green shots. They sacrificed themselves when the top shelf of the fridge decided to take a nose dive and the entire plate of green shots (the ones I'd most been looking forward to) followed. Let me tell you, what a mess. We had glass shards from the plate from one end of the kitchen to the other, half congealed jello in interesting places, and a dog that decided it would be a good idea to come in and see what all the commotion was about. So, after all that I didn't get to try the ones I wanted to, so we decided to make some yellow ones to replace them. They were okay, not my favourite. I'll definitely be trying to try the green combo again.

The orange combo was great, and I loved the taste of the watermelon jello, but I think I'd mix with vodka next time. It was my first time trying gin and all I can say is it tastes like paint thinner. Which isn't really on my food bucket list of things to try. The grape ones were fine, I'm just not a big artificial grape fan, but I made them for a friend kind of as a joke because her drink of choice for a long time was grape juice and vodka.

So, now you're probably wondering how much alcohol you actually need to put into the jello. Well, it's really pretty simple.

1 (3 oz) pkg Jello
1 C. Boiling Water
1/2 C. Cold Water
1/2 C. Alcohol

I spent a bit of time trying to track down some containers to make the shots in. Everyone I know said just use dixie cups, but I didn't want to have a tiny bit of jello in a large paper cup. Finally I tracked down something perfect. Medicine cups. You know the little plastic 1 oz cups that come with the children's liquid Tylenol, etc. Well, I didn't go and buy 100 bottles of Tylenol to get all the medicine cups. I work at a pharmacy, and what do you know, you can buy those handy little, multipurpose things by the 100 pack. You know what's even better? They cost me under a buck for the whole sleeve. Now before you go and judge me, I must inform you that I wasn't the only one scooping up a few sleeves of these things. And it wasn't just medicine cups either. One girl was eyeing up some 20 & 30 ml oral syringes that she was going to try and experiment with. The verdict's still out on whether they worked or not.

Anyway, how to make these things. Right, I guess I should get to that.

Each batch (1 box of jello) makes ~15 - 1oz shots.

Ingredients

1 (3 oz) pkg Jello
1 C. Boiling Water
1/2 C. Cold Water
1/2 C. Alcohol

Directions

~Boil water.
~Place jello powder and boiling water in a medium sized bowl. Stir until jello crystals have dissolved.
~Pour in the cold water.
~Allow the mixture to cools slightly (or the alcohol will evaporate - or so I am told)
~Add in the alcohol. Stir.
~Transfer jello into individual serving cups. (I found the easiest way to do this was to pour the liquid into a liquid measuring cup that has a spout and use that to pour into the individual cups.)
~Place cups onto plates and put plates in the fridge to set (about 4 hours).

Enjoy (responsibly!)



No comments: