Tuesday 21 April 2015

Mississippi Mud Bars



I think I have about a dozen different Mississippi Mud Recipes saved to my computer. I don't think one of those recipes is similar to the next one, so I honestly don't know what the 'true' Mississippi Mud Bar recipe is. All I know is these are good. Quite good really and really worth making again.

When I made these, I didn't have pecans and as an afterthought I added chopped cashews to the top, but the frosting had kind of set and so I had to squish them down to keep them from rolling away, so it's best to put them between the marshmallow and frosting so they stay in place.

Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen.

Ingredients

1 C. Butter
1/2 C. Semisweet Chocolate Chips
2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1/2 C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
4 Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
3/4 Tsp. Salt

1 Bag (10.5oz) Mini Marshmallows

1 C. chopped pecans (optional), or any other desired nuts

Frosting:
1/4 C. Butter
2 1/2 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa
2 1/2 Tbsp. Milk
2 C. Icing Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla

Directions

~Preheat oven to 350 F
~Melt butter and chocolate chips in a large pot over low heat, stirring until smooth
~Remove from heat and add in sugar, flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine
~Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan
~Bake for 20 minutes
~Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows over and return to bake for 5 minutes until marshmallows have puffed
~Remove from oven and sprinkle with nuts if desired
~In a large saucepan, combine butter, cocoa and milk, and heat until combined
~Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth
~Spoon into a piping bag or freezer bag (snipping the corner) and pipe over bars (while marshmallows are still warm (but not right out of the oven, wait approximately 10 minutes)
~Cut into squares

Enjoy!

No comments: