Sunday 15 July 2012

Tarter Sauce


So, the only problem with this tarter sauce is that I have a really awful picture to show for it. Unfortunately, the sun was just a little too bright and all the things on the plate seemed to become a blinding mass of glowing white. It's too bad because if I had have had just a couple more minutes I would have got a decent picture, alas that didn't happen. So, as a bit of compensation I'm going to include a couple of unrelated (to the recipe at least) images that I really like because they just seem to represent summer.

No, I don't have a recipe for this. I think it was canned peaches, tequila, some juice and ice, but I can't say for sure. You see, I made this last summer in a huge batch that I then kept in the freezer for when the time was right. Well, that time never came last summer, it was simply too cold out to be drinking frozen concoctions. But today was finally a frozen drink day. Maybe one day I'll make it again and post the exact recipe. Until then, enjoy this nice taste of summer.





But back to the tarter sauce. This tarter sauce recipe is a lot like a basil lemon veggie dip that we make as well. I much prefer this, because I'm more of a dill person than a basil person. The good thing about both of these recipes though is that they are a creamy white dressing that does not have sour cream in them. Yay, dairy free! Because the tarter sauce is so similar to the basil veggie dip, I have been known to use up the tarter sauce on my raw veggies.

Recipe based very very loosely off of a recipe I clipped out of our local grocery chain's (Thrifty Foods) flyer.

Makes: 1 C. of Sauce

Ingredients

1 C. Mayonnaise
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
3-4 Tbsp. Fresh Dill
2 Tsp. Yellow Mustard
2 Tsp. Pickle Juice
4 Dill Pickles, finely chopped
1/2 Tsp. Hot Sauce
Salt
Pepper

Directions

~Measure out all ingredients and combine them in a container. (I just mix in the container I'm going to store it in, that way I don't make more dishes than necessary.)
~Mix well to combine.
~Store in the fridge for at least half an hour to develop the flavours. (Really the longer the better, but sometimes that just doesn't work out.)

Enjoy...on fish, burgers or as a veggie dip!


No comments: